UKZN Tablet

Hacking, Modding and Rooting

UKZN Tablet

Postby DieLyn » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi guys

Just found this on my "Watch later" list on Youtube: How to use the UKZN tablet. I have no recollection of when I put it there, but it was uploaded just three weeks ago.

I've heard from a confidential source that UKZN plans to sell these tablets to students in the near future and that they're currently doing a pilot program with the IT staff and testing them out.

Would be nice to take a look under the hood of this and see what the specs are like.

Thoughts ?
Last edited by Admin on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Post moved to Android section, post edited to reflect this.
DieLyn

Re: UKZN Tablet

Postby MattDN93 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks for this tip Dylan, interesting find. Hope you don't mind the topic move ;)

Judging by the model number (AK888-15B) it's a Proline Smart Tablet, about R1500 on Takealot.

These tabs have a dual-core Cortex A9 CPU, presumably the MTK (MediaTek) SoC.
According to the spec sheet it's got 1024x600 res, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, WiFi, BT etc. What's interestng though is the HDMI output and the MicroSD slot, which plenty of high end tabs don't have. Seems interesting this, I like the keyboard that comes with it!

Now we know why the campus WiFi went open, so these tablets can access the Play Store. Nice!

UKZN gave these to the Health Science students according to the Facebook page, I don't know if they're coming to the rest of us anytime soon. Just as I ordered my Nexus 7 FHD, lol X-D
Check out the blog!
Give the main site a visit ;)
About me

Phone: HTC One S | dualcore 1.5GHz | PAC ROM 4.2.2 // Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 (2013 model) | Android 4.3 | Stock // HP dv6 Core i7 2630QM | 8GB RAM | Radeon 6770M
Romans 8:38
MattDN93
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DieLyn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:00 pm

MattDN93 wrote:Thanks for this tip Dylan, interesting find. Hope you don't mind the topic move ;)

Judging by the model number (AK888-15B) it's a Proline Smart Tablet, about R1500 on Takealot.

These tabs have a dual-core Cortex A9 CPU, presumably the MTK (MediaTek) SoC.
According to the spec sheet it's got 1024x600 res, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, WiFi, BT etc. What's interestng though is the HDMI output and the MicroSD slot, which plenty of high end tabs don't have. Seems interesting this, I like the keyboard that comes with it!

Now we know why the campus WiFi went open, so these tablets can access the Play Store. Nice!

UKZN gave these to the Health Science students according to the Facebook page, I don't know if they're coming to the rest of us anytime soon. Just as I ordered my Nexus 7 FHD, lol X-D

Lol, No probs with the topic move.

You found those specs so quickly ! I've seen those Proline tabs around. They don't look so bad. Looks like UKZN has made a good package. I just hope they get the pricing right and don't try to make a major profit out of it.
DieLyn

Postby MattDN93 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 pm

I watched that video like 3 times to try get the model number from that booklet, that got me to the spec list ;)

Agreed the UKZN branding doesn't add any features to the device so the selling price should be the same as what Proline is offering it for, else it makes no sense, students could just fork out R1500 and buy direct. A subsidy plan or monthly billing to a student account might be sensible for those strapped for cash.
Check out the blog!
Give the main site a visit ;)
About me

Phone: HTC One S | dualcore 1.5GHz | PAC ROM 4.2.2 // Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 (2013 model) | Android 4.3 | Stock // HP dv6 Core i7 2630QM | 8GB RAM | Radeon 6770M
Romans 8:38
MattDN93
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Android