Android Device Builds Available

Hacking, Modding and Rooting

Android Device Builds Available

Postby MattDN93 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:37 pm

NOTE: This thread assumes you've got a fairly working knowledge of Android rooting, and flashing of ROMs. If you don't, post a thread in this section and we can get you started or read this: http://xda-university.com/as-a-user/android-flashing-guide

I've spent some time digging around Linux distros and managed to build a ROM from source myself. If you're interested in building Android ROMs yourself, this link http://xda-university.com/as-a-developer/getting-started-building-android-from-source should get you started.

PAC ROM
This thread serves to host some links to download the very popular PAC ROM (http://pac-rom.com/index.html) combining the best aspects of the aftermarket firmware distributions CyanogenMod, AOKP and ParanoidAndroid.

I have the entire PAC build environment set up, so here's what we offer:

If you would like me to build the PAC ROM for your device:

• Comment with the model of your phone and, if you know it, it's "codename".
  • Check the below list if your device name is not already included in my build list
  • Browse our Dropbox for the download for the ZIP file needed to flash to your device
  • An MD5 verification file is also included to ensure the ZIP is not corrupt

BUILD LIST AND INFO

Currently PAC 23.0.0

ChangeLog: PAC http://code.nwwn.com:8080/#/q/status:merged,n,z
CM http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/q/status:merged,n,z

Click this link to download the ROMs for your device:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g0g4nmaso11a5ho/J9JJjTGghl

Devices Currently Built:

• Device: HTC One S (ville)
    ROM size: 180MB
    Build date: 1 July 2013

• Device: Asus Nexus 7 (grouper)
    ROM size: 181MB
    Build date: 8 July 2013

More devices coming soon!
Check out the blog!
Give the main site a visit ;)
About me

Phone: HTC One S | dualcore 1.5GHz | PAC ROM 4.2.2 // Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 (2013 model) | Android 4.3 | Stock // HP dv6 Core i7 2630QM | 8GB RAM | Radeon 6770M
Romans 8:38
MattDN93
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Android Device Builds Available

Postby JoshD » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:05 pm

What's so special about this ROM?
JoshD

Postby MattDN93 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Josh, welcome to the forum!

Firstly, PAC is an amalgamation of some of the most popular aftermarket Android firmware out there. Know anything about AOKP, Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android?
Check out the blog!
About me

Phone: HTC One S | dualcore 1.5GHz | PAC ROM 4.2.2 // Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 (2013 model) | Android 4.3 | Stock // HP dv6 Core i7 2630QM | 8GB RAM | Radeon 6770M
MattDN93
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoshD » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes i actually know quite a lot... I'm Yuri's friend btw. I'm running JellyBAM which is also a combination of those 3 ROMs you mentioned. What would makes your different from mine? I know for a first you don't have gapps built it, considering the size of the zip files you posted
JoshD

Postby MattDN93 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:07 am

JoshD wrote:Yes i actually know quite a lot... I'm Yuri's friend btw. I'm running JellyBAM which is also a combination of those 3 ROMs you mentioned. What would makes your different from mine? I know for a first you don't have gapps built it, considering the size of the zip files you posted

Ah cool stuff, sorry, didn't intend to sound condescending, I thought I'd need to explain... And yes the name and timeframe made that obvious ;)

Ah yes JellyBAM, I heard rumbles on XDA it got shuttered for some time because of GPL non-compliance ?

Indeed Gapps aren't included, but AOSP derivatives don't usually have them, JellyBAM seems to be the exception there... but any compatible Gapps package from http://goo.im/gapps works fine.

PAC as far as I know is CM base so CM code commits upstream are priority. The other 2 ROMs sync their commits without fanfare... , and looking at the JellyBAM spec list in all honesty it offers pretty much exactly the same stuff... Not sure where JellyBAM is Linux kernel wise but PAC is on the newer 3.4.

Here's the thing, you'll see this is an old thread , I've been busy so haven't had time to make new builds and my build VM needs to be updated with the latest PAC repo which could take a few days. Essentially all I do is sync my repo with the CM and PAC repo (the latter manages AOKP and PA commits) and cherry pick and upcoming fixes and such that look like they'll boost performance or fix bugs, and build a ROM from there. Your local XDA device PAC maintainer does exactly this, just he's the official guy, I'm just doing it to learn, and flash my device with something "I built "...

I'm currently in a Sense based MaximusHD ROM though so in the holidays I'll reacquaint myself with AOSP...

What device do you have?
Check out the blog!
About me

MattDN93
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoshD » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh okay, i understood most of that XD I'm not so clued up about the actual building process of the ROM but i made sense of what you were trying to say. I currently have a Galaxy S2. Running a newish JellyBam build, downloaded it about a month ago. However i do have a few problems. The biggest problem is this S2 didn't come with a notification light! So before this i had CM 10.1 RC1 and i came across somewhere about BLN. So i did some more research and found out there were specific Kernels that allowed BLN. So i flashed the appropriate siyah kernel for my phone, but it just effed up everything. then i reset it all and found a modded version of that kernel called dorimanx siyah. And everything worked 100% and i was satisfied. But then i got JellyBam and it didn't have a BLN kernel either. So i flashed Dorimanx again and worked fine. Except that every time i boot my phone it pops up with the notification toast "Android Upgrading." And also the Kernel Management doesn't work unless i restore it from Titanium Backup. So i was wondering, how difficult would it be to create a kernel that is 100% compatible with your ROM and had BLN?? Cause is the ROM that supports the Kernel, or the kernel that supports the ROM?
JoshD

Postby MattDN93 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:06 pm

JoshD wrote:Oh okay, i understood most of that XD I'm not so clued up about the actual building process of the ROM but i made sense of what you were trying to say. I currently have a Galaxy S2. Running a newish JellyBam build, downloaded it about a month ago. However i do have a few problems. The biggest problem is this S2 didn't come with a notification light! So before this i had CM 10.1 RC1 and i came across somewhere about BLN. So i did some more research and found out there were specific Kernels that allowed BLN. So i flashed the appropriate siyah kernel for my phone, but it just effed up everything. then i reset it all and found a modded version of that kernel called dorimanx siyah. And everything worked 100% and i was satisfied. But then i got JellyBam and it didn't have a BLN kernel either. So i flashed Dorimanx again and worked fine. Except that every time i boot my phone it pops up with the notification toast "Android Upgrading." And also the Kernel Management doesn't work unless i restore it from Titanium Backup. So i was wondering, how difficult would it be to create a kernel that is 100% compatible with your ROM and had BLN?? Cause is the ROM that supports the Kernel, or the kernel that supports the ROM?

Haha good stuff ;) Yeah neither was I, but a couple of X_D_A tuts (have to do that to stop the emoticon lol) later and along with PMs from the HTC One S maintainer for PAC (really nice guy) I was on my way with a Linux Ubuntu VM. Yeah BLN is a very nice thing to have, my phone has a notification light, just it's so small I enjoyed BLN, I was using ElementalX kernel with an HTC Sense-based ROM, TrickDroid.

I'm not a kernel dev, and they enjoy talking about Linaro toolchains and stuff, that goes over my head, but what I gather from discussion and threads is that fundamentally the kernel is the Linux core of Android, that gets your hardware and radios (WiFi, BT, cell) working with the Android OS. From what I know they're based on the current Linux kernel which is 3.4, but in this way the ROM has to support 3.4-based kernels. On the flip side, the kernels often support ROM TYPES, so like you can't have a TouchWiz ROM together with an AOSP kernel because the way the kernel asks the OS for interaction with the hardware is different.

I know the feeling, I flashed some kernels when I still has S-ON for my HTC, which messed up WiFi and broke phonecalls. To be honest, because JellyBAM is a mishmash of different ROMs a 100% match probably won't be possible per se, but for best compatibility look for a CM/AOSP supporting kernel designed around CM, for your SGS2. That'll probably get best stability.

Hope it helped!
Check out the blog!
About me

MattDN93
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Android